Friday, August 13, 2010

Fingerprint Friday - August Beauty

Sunflowers are my favorite end-of-the-summer flowers. I found these growing near downtown Hendersonville.





And these were grown on a friend's farm.

 

Here are some interesting facts from Wikipedia ...
  • The sunflower buds follows the sun, facing the east at sunrise, then moving with the sun all day (called heliotropism). But when they bloom, they can't move anymore and face just east or south. 
  • What is usually called the flower is actually a head of numerous florets (small flowers) crowded together. 
  • The seeds are in the center, arranged in spiral patterns. 
  • Most grow to heights of 5-12 feet, with the record being 40 feet. 
  • Commercial uses include sunflower seeds, oil, and sunbutter (an alternative to peanut butter), and the cake that remains after processing can be used for livestock feed. 
  • The sunflower is the state flower of Kansas and the national flower of Ukraine.

Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.
1 Chronicles 29:14

~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~
There is a song by Steven Curtis Chapman that says:
I can see the fingerprints of God
When I look at you
I can see the fingerprints of God
And I know it's true
You're a masterpiece
That all creation quietly applauds
And you're covered with the fingerprints of God

So look around you and see where YOU can see God's fingerprints. Is it in nature? Kids? Animals? Where do you see them? To find out how to join "Fingerprint Friday" and see links to other posts, visit Beki at The Rusted Chain.





6 comments:

littlebird said...

40 feet high sunflowers!!!!!
i have tried valiantly to grow sunflowers for the past 3 years only to have the snails munch on them!

if you like sunflowers have you seen the movie calender girls?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337909/

Lindsay Thomas said...

Oh Wow! I love sunflowers even more after reading those facts! That is truly amazing and definitely a fingerprint from God! Thank you for sharing!

Vicki said...

What gorgeous photographs! I love sunflowers too! They are such happy flowers and always seem to me to be stretching toward the sky in praise of their Creator, while at the same time nodding their heads in humility! Have a great Friday! ♥Vicki

Rosebud Collection said...

What beautiful sunflowers..one of my favorites..Something I can grow..Great Fingerprint..
I knew you would see the angel in the picture..I was laughing when I put the picture up..thinking you would see it..Have a happy day my dear friend...xoxoRosebud/Carolyn

Pblacksaw said...

these are wonderful... we have grown them a few times thinking to dry the seeds.. the squirrels beat us to them every time..
Patsy

Gloria said...

Sunflowers are simply summer, aren't they? They are so bright and cheery, just like the sun they are always stretching out to find. I also enjoyed reading the facts you found about them, truely a wonderful fingerprint of God. Smile today. :)

I also think it's great that you were featured on another blog, and I enjoyed looking at these creations, really cute.